January 25, 2007 at 7 p.m.
City Council Chamber
734 Third Street
Brentwood, CA 94513
CALL TO ORDER: Chairperson Rodrigues called the meeting to order at 7:02 p.m.
ROLL CALL: Present were Chair Ernie Rodrigues, Vice Chair Sandra Myers, and Commissioners Lanny Brown and Tom Jones. Commissioner Jan Melloni was excused. Staff members present were Ken De Silva, Landscape/Facilities Manager; Poldina Scherff, Recreation Manager; Tammy Homan, Management Analyst; Jaclyn Dwyer, Recreation Coordinator; Michael Tsutsumi, Recreation Coordinator.
A. Introduction of new Recreation Coordinators Jaclyn Dwyer and Kirk Waller. (P. Scherff)
B. Proclamation recognizing Pulte Homes for the support for the Brentwood Snow Park. (K. De Silva)
C. Proclamation recognizing Rick Lemyre for his years of service participating in the Breakfast with Santa program. (M. Kaiser)
Mr. Lemyre said he has had a lot of fun at this event. He enjoys seeing the energy and enthusiasm of the Park and Recreation staff at these events.
D. Recognition of Ernie Rodrigues for serving as Park & Recreation Commission Chair in 2006. (C. Bronzan)
Chair Rodrigues thanked the Commission and looks forward to serving along side the Chair to be, Sandra Myers.
AGENDA REVIEW: No changes or additions.
1. Approve minutes of regular meeting of November 16, 2006.
• Item #5 pulled by Commissioner Myers for discussion. Commissioner Myers had two questions. First, the water feature at Mallard Park and second, Crusade for Shade.
1. Ken De Silva, Landscape/Facilities Manager, gave an update on Mallard Park. He informed the Commissioners that the landscaping portion has been approved and now they are waiting for Public Works to identify any issues which it may have. Certain rocks at the park have been removed for safety reasons. Commissioner Myers would like to see this park be made available by the summer.
2. Commissioner Myers is very concerned about the shade structures and whether they will be ready before the summer comes. She has said that without shades over the play structures and benches, the parks are useless.
Motion to approve items 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10.
Motion to approve item 5.
11. ACTION ITEM Approve schematic for Veterans Memorial Rose Garden and Pavers Fundraising Layout Plan. (F. Errico)
Motion to approve the schematic presented.
12. DISCUSSION ITEM Presentation and discussion of conceptual ideas for the replacement of burned play area and improvements for McClarren Park. (Phil Abey of Abey ∙ Arnold Associations /F. Errico)
Concept 1 – This concept would be replacing only the play structure and also adding a preschool age element. Another option included thinning out the rows of trees between the county easement and the park. It was also suggested having the road from the Head Start Program extended through to McClarren Road for police car access.
Concept 2 – This concept would result in re-doing this park completely. It would include adding a loop for walking which currently just dead ends. The basketball would be positioned up front while the play structures will be moved to the back of the park. The open green space could turn into a soccer field. There will also be picnic areas and an area for water play. This plan would also include thinning out the trees and extending the road from Head Start Program to McClarren Road.
Concept 3 – This concept would result in re-doing this park completely. It would include a full size basketball court in the back of the park and seating available for spectators. It would include the loop for walking; however, the play structures will be in the front of the park. There will also be an open green space in the middle of the park. This plan would also include thinning out the trees and extending the road from Head Start Program to McClarren Road.
It was mentioned that the insurance money from the fire will only be enough to replace the play structure and not for the other proposed fix ups.
The Commissioners liked Concept 3 with a mention of possibly bringing sand and water features by Commissioner Myers. Commissioner Jones suggested possibly bringing in suggestions from the youth of the community to allow a feeling partial ownership over this park.
13. DISCUSSION ITEM Update on Veterans Park Memorial Garden (Veterans Element Phase 3). (F. Errico)
Castello Subdivision #8854 – “Sage Glen Park”
Palmilla Subdivision #8674 – “Palmilla Park” for the park next to the private recreation center, “Marsh Creek Park North” and “Marsh Creek Park South” for portions of land adjacent to Marsh Creek and “Mandevilla Park” for the subdivision adjacent to Mandevilla Drive.
Motion to approve the recommended names of the parks.
15. ACTION ITEM Selection of new date for the Park and Recreation Commission retreat originally scheduled for January 20, 2007. (K. DeSilva)
Commissioner Jones requested that the retreat be after February 15 since he will be moving and resigning from the Commission.
Item to be brought back at a later meeting.
16. DISCUSSION ITEM Review of proposed policy for Starry Nights in Brentwood Concert Series. (B. Gary/J. Dwyer)
17. ACTION ITEM Election of officers. (K. De Silva)
Motion to approve Commissioner Brown as the new vice-chair.
CITIZENS COMMENTS: None
Commissioner Jones asked Ken De Silva how the grass was holding up at Sunset Park. Mr. De Silva reported back that the field was seeded during the fall and re-sod work was done as well. He is hoping for warmer weather before reseeding again. Mr. De Silva mentioned the possibility of getting a different water source for the watering of the grass.
Poldina Scherff reported back that the Winter/Spring Activities Guide has been mailed out. She commended her staff for doing a great job. She highlighted a few of the future events which include Fun Run, Arbor Day Celebration and Lunch with Bunny. She also mentioned that the Bike to Work program will be extended to a week long event. Another momentous event was noted in regards to the City of Brentwood receiving an award called 100 Best Communities for Youth. Out of the 750 applicants, 7 were picked from California, which included the City of Brentwood.
Commissioner Jones thanked everyone and updated the Commission on his near future move to Hemet. He plans to be involved with the commissions at Hemet but said they require that you become a resident for a year first.
Commissioner Brown commented on Blue Goose Park and how well it looks. Ken De Silva mentioned that the hardscape is the only thing left to be done.
Chair Rodrigues would like the Park Naming Committee to come up with a name for the future park near Summerset.
Commissioner Myers thanked Chair Rodrigues for his service as Chair in the past year.
REQUEST FOR FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS: None
ADJOURNMENT: Chair adjourned the meeting at 8:51 p.m.
of Brentwood Park and Recreation Commission
35 Oak Street
Brentwood, CA 94513