| CITY COUNCIL AGENDA ITEM NO. 10
Meeting Date: August 27, 2002
Subject/Title: Award the Construction Contract for the New Police Facility Infrastructure, CIP Project No. 336-3110.
Submitted by: Engineering: B. Grewal/M. Huber
Police Department: M. Davies/K. King
Approved by: John Stevenson, City Manager
Award the Construction Contract for the New Police Facility Infrastructure, CIP Project No. 336-3110, to Top Grade Construction, Inc. and authorize the City Manager to execute the agreement and necessary documents in the amount of $1,434,530.10, and grant the City Manager authority to execute change orders up to 10% of the contract amount.
On January 22, 2002, the City Council authorized staff to execute a contract with BKF Engineers Surveyors Planners to design the New Police Facility Infrastructure, CIP Project No. 336-3110.
On January 22, 2002, the City Council approved an agreement between RGM and Associates and the City of Brentwood to provide Construction Management Services for the New Police Facility, CIP Project No. 336-3110.
The City advertised the project for construction bids beginning Sunday, July 21, 2002, and bids were opened on August 20, 2002. A total of four (4) bids were received. The bids were reviewed and the lowest responsive, responsible bid was received from Top Grade Construction, Inc. in the amount of $1,434,530.10.
The four (4) bids were:
1. Top Grade Construction $ 1,434,530.10
2. William McCullough Co. $ 1,469,439.10
3. DSS Company $ 1,521,228.05
4. Tidelands Construction Co. $ 1,795,676.50
Funding for the project is included in the approved 2003/07 Capital Improvement Program. Infrastructure costs have increased due to construction methods necessary to keep Central Boulevard open to traffic and allow for completion of the sewer line, which necessitated the connection to the west interceptor. These methods support the site as well as surrounding areas. It is staff’s opinion that approximately $600,000 of the infrastructure costs will be reimbursed through assessment districts and by the County Flood Control.
A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF BRENTWOOD AWARDING THE CONSTRUCTION CONTRACT TO TOP GRADE CONSTRUCTION, INC. FOR THE NEW POLICE FACILITY INFRASTRUCTURE, CIP PROJECT NO. 336-3110, IN THE AMOUNT OF $1,434,530.10, AND AUTHORIZE THE CITY MANAGER TO EXECUTE THE AGREEMENT AND NECESSARY DOCUMENTS AND GRANT THE CITY MANAGER AUTHORITY TO EXECUTE CHANGE ORDERS UP TO 10% OF THE CONTRACT AMOUNT.
WHEREAS, on January 22, 2002, the City Council authorized staff to execute a contract with BKF Engineers Surveyors Planners to design the New Police Facility Infrastructure, CIP Project No. 336-3110; and
WHEREAS, on January 22, 2002, the City Council approved an agreement between RGM and Associates and the City of Brentwood to provide Construction Management Services for the New Police Facility, CIP Project No. 336-3110; and
WHEREAS, the bid opening for said project was held on August 20, 2002 and Top Grade Construction, Inc. was determined to have provided the lowest, responsible base bid of $1,434,530.10, which was the basis for awarding the contract.
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED by the City Council of the City of Brentwood, that the City shall award the construction contract to Top Grade Construction, Inc. in the amount of $1,434,530.10 for the New Police Facility Infrastructure Project, CIP Project No. 336-3110.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the City Manager is granted the authority to execute the agreement and change orders up to 10% of the contract amount.
PASSED, APPROVED AND ADOPTED by the City Council of the City of Brentwood at a regular meeting on the 27th day of August 2002 by the following vote:
BRENTWOOD POLICE FACILITY INFRASTRUCTURE PROJECT
PROJECT NO. 336-3110
THIS AGREEMENT FOR CONSTRUCTION is made and entered into this 28th day of August 2002, by and between the City of Brentwood (herein called City) and Top Grade Construction, Inc., a California corporation, a partnership or an individual (circle one) located at 50 Contractors Street, Livermore, California, herein called Contractor.
The City and the Contractor agree as follows:
(1) CONTRACT SUM: The City agrees to pay, and the Contractor agrees to accept, in full payment for constructing the Project in strict accordance with the Contract Documents and performing all other requirements of the Contract Documents, the sum of One Million Four Hundred Thirty Four Thousand Five Hundred Thirty Dollars and Ten Cents. ($1,434,530.10) to be paid in accordance with the Contract Documents.
(2) COMPLIANCE WITH LAW: The City is a public agency. All provisions of law applicable to public contracts are a part of this contract to the same extent as though set forth herein and will be complied with by the Contractor.
(3) CONTRACT DOCUMENTS: The following Contract Documents relating to this Agreement are hereby made a part of and incorporated by reference into this Agreement: The Notice Inviting Bids, Invitation to Bid, Information for Bidders, Contract Proposal, Faithful Performance Bond, Labor and Materials Payment Bond, Contractor’s Certificate Regarding Worker’s Compensation, Certificate of Insurance and Endorsement (Worker’s Compensation), Certificate of Insurance and Endorsement (General Liability), General Conditions, Special Provisions, Plans and Specifications, CalTrans Standard Plans and Specifications, City of Brentwood Standard Plans and Specifications, Plans, and supplemental agreements, certifications, and endorsements applicable to this work, with all modifications incorporated in said documents prior to receipt of the Contract Proposals. Any work called for in one Contract Document not mentioned in another is to be performed and executed the same as if mentioned in all Contract Documents.
Contractors are required by law to be licensed and regulated by the Contractor’s State License Board which has jurisdiction to investigate complaints against contractors if a complaint is filed within three years of the date of the alleged violation. Any questions concerning a contractor may be referred to the Registrar, Contractors’ State License Board, P.O. Box 26000, Sacramento, California 95826.
This Agreement is executed by the City upon approval by the City Council at their regular scheduled meeting of August 28, 2002 and the Contractor has caused this Agreement to be duly executed.
CITY OF BRENTWOOD TOP GRADE CONSTRUCTION, INC.:
John E. Stevenson, City Manager (Authorized Representative of Contractor)
Dated: _________________________, 2002 Printed Name:
(Attach Acknowledgment for Authorized
Representative of Contractor)
Karen Diaz, CMC
Dated :________________________, 2002
APPROVED AS TO FORM:
Dennis Beougher, City Attorney
(Attach Acknowledgment for Authorized Representatives of Contractor)
City of Brentwood City Council
150 City Park Way
Brentwood, CA 94513
Fax (925) 516-5441