City of Brentwood
Home PageContact Us!Back

"We deliver trust - providing resources today to ensure a flourishing tomorrow"

Pay your Utility Bill online!

Renew your Business License online!
City of Brentwood - Finance & Information Systems
Home  Finance & Information Systems  Financial Services Business License
Start A Business in Brentwood!

Choosing a Location
If you are running your business from your home, which is located within the city limits of Brentwood, you must apply for a Home Occupation Permit.

Business License
Fill out your application and send to the City of Brentwood, 150 City Park Way, Brentwood, CA 94513

Other Agency’s Help
If you charge sales tax you will need to apply for a Sales Tax Number or Resale Number
You must register your business name with the County Clerk Recorder to get your Fictitious Business Name.,,id=98350,00.html
If you have employees, you may need to apply for a Federal Identification Number.
If you are serving alcoholic beverages, you may need to apply with the Alcoholic Beverage Control Licensing
If you are selling or trading in firearms, new laws require you to register with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms for a Federal Firearms License (FFL) and a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from the Department of Justice.
If you need an Export License
If you are selling or trading secondhand merchandise or pawn broking, new laws require you to register with the Police Department
If you deal in check cashing, you must register with the Department of Justice

http://www.businessusa .gov/
Information and services provided by the government for the business community.
California Permit Assistance CalGOLD provides businesses with information on permits and other requirements of California agencies at all levels of government.
Environmental Protection Agency This California agency may need to review and approve your permit application.
Deals with basic legal issues
Information regarding starting and managing small businesses.
The homepage of the State of California’s Division of Workers’ Compensation
Links to other agencies that deal with worker’s compensation laws and requirements.
The Employment Development Department administers state unemployment and non-industrial disability insurance programs.

Other Numbers you might need:
  • Brentwood Chamber of Commerce - (925) 634-3344
  • Better Business Bureau - (510) 238-1000
  • Contractors State License Board - (800) 321-2752
  • Business Resource Center (Private Industry Council of Contra Costa County)
    (925) 602-6840
  • Child Care Licensing - State Department of Social Services - (510) 286-7062
    If you have 6 or less and only one other family’s children besides yours, you are exempt from a City business license.
  • Business License for unincorporated areas, County offices - (925) 646-4230
  • Import Businesses - U.S. Customs Import Specialist - (415) 705-4440
Finance and IS Quick Links
Utility Billing
Business License

Business License Application

Business License Application for Residential Rental Property
Business License Tax Calculator
Home Occupation Application
Business License - Other Agencies
Business License Grant
Budgets and Financial Reports
Application for Water/Garbage Service
Auto Pay with Credit Card/Checking
Spanish Version


Finance & Information Systems
Business License       (925) 516-5480
150 City Park Way       (925) 516-5401
Brentwood, CA 94513