If you will be conducting business within the City of Brentwood and need to apply for a Business Tax Certificate, you've come to the right place!
The City of Brentwood recognizes the value and importance of a strong and varied business community. We appreciate our businesses as residents with a long term investment in our community.
If you are an existing business you can renew your Business Tax Certificate online. See Business Tax Certificate Online for additional information.
If you’re starting or operating a business in Brentwood, you must obtain a Business Tax Certificate. Even if you conduct business in Brentwood from an office located outside of the city, you are required to obtain a Business Tax Certificate.
- If operating a business out of a commercial building, please review Grow Together with Brentwood. This is an informational guide for new businesses.
- All Business Tax Certificate Applicants/Renewals are required to comply with SB 205 Stormwater Discharge Compliance and AB 3002 State Disability Access Requirements. AB3002 has also been translated into Spanish, Chinese Simplified, Chinese Tratidional, Tagalog, Vietnamese and Korean.
Effective January 1, 2021, Assembly Bill 1607 (“AB1607”), Prevention of Gender-Based Discrimination, requires a city that issues business certificates to provide a business, at the time the business is issued the certificate or during renewal of the certificate, written notices of the requirements provided for by AB1607. AB1607 requires certain businesses to disclose, in writing, certain signage in a conspicuous place and the price for each standard service provided. To view the business’ rights and obligations under these provisions the Department of Consumer Affairs has provided the following informational materials. Click on the desired language to view in English, Spanish, Chinese Simplified, Chinese Traditional, Tagalog, Vietnamese and Korean.
- If you’re operating (or plan to operate) a business from your home in Brentwood, please print and complete the Home Occupation Zoning Review Application (HOZR). The City encourages zoning review prior to obtaining a Business Tax Certificate. The HOZR Application is submitted to the Community Development Department inside the Permit Center at City Hall. Reference Municipal Code 17.840.
- If you are a residential landlord, please complete the Business Tax Certificate Application – Rental. (HOZR is not required.)
- All other business types should complete the Business Tax Certificate Application.
- You may utilize the Business Tax Calculator in order to calculate the tax due.
In case of an emergency at a commercial location, it is imperative that the Police Department have current contact information on individuals who have access and are able to respond to your business during that emergency. Please fill out a Business Index Card and submit it with your Business Tax Certificate Application.
Your Business Tax Certificate will be emailed within 10 working days.
If you have other questions regarding Business Tax Certificate, you can contact us via email at BTCmessages@brentwoodca.gov or by calling our office at (925) 516-5480. Our office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday thru Friday, except holidays.